Summer Auditions & Admission
Study in the School of American Ballet’s summer programs is for serious ballet students between the ages of 10 and 18 years old. Admission to our summer programs is by audition only. Our flagship five-week Summer Course in NYC for 12 to 18 year olds offers intensive exposure to SAB’s year-round training syllabus and provides an opportunity for students to experience the unparalleled cultural offerings of New York City. The Young Dancer Series for 10-12 year olds includes a one-week program in June at our Lincoln Center headquarters (New York Junior Session) and a two-week intensive in August in Southern California (California Workshop for Young Dancers).
Study in SAB’s Summer Course is for intermediate and advanced students, 12 to 18 years old who are at a stage of technical advancement proportionate to their age and who have the physical qualifications suited to the demands of classical dance. Twelve year olds must already be training on pointe by the time of their Summer Course audition.
For the Young Dancers Series, students 10 or younger (including 9 year olds who will be 10 by July 31, 2020) are expected to have completed a minimum of 1-1/2 years of training by the time of their audition. Eleven year olds should have completed a minimum of 2 years of training (including introductory pointe work), and 12 year olds should be training at the intermediate level.
To apply for the 5-week Summer Course, students must be no younger than 12 and no older than 18 as of July 31 the year they attend the program. For the Young Dancers Series: students must be no younger than 10 and no older than 12 as of July 31 in the year they attend either the New York Junior Session or the California Workshop.
There are numerous options in January for students who wish to audition for SAB’s summer programs. SAB visits nearly 20 cities across the US to audition students for our summer programs during the National Audition Tour. Auditions are also held at our headquarters in New York City on select dates throughout January. Applicants should choose the date/location that is most convenient. Audition procedures and decisions do not vary by location. International Students (and US students in Hawaii and Alaska) may apply to our summer programs by Video. Visit the links below for detailed audition information.
National Audition Tour
Students may audition at any of the National Audition Tour locations. The National Audition Tour is held in January each year. Pre-registration is strongly recommended for the National Audition Tour.
National Audition Tour City Fees (excludes NYC)
Pre-paid online: $38.50 (This must be paid by credit card at the time of pre-registration)
At the audition site*: $45 (This fee applies to both applicants who apply onsite AND applicants who pre-registered but did not pay at the time of pre-registration)
*Fees collected at the audition site must be paid by cash or check (written out to “School of American Ballet”). Credit Cards are not accepted at the audition sites.Learn More about the National Audition Tour
Auditions at SAB
SAB holds Summer Program auditions in New York City by appointment on specific days in January. Pre-registration is required for all auditions taking place at SAB.
Fees for Auditions at SAB
Pre-paid online: $50 (This must be paid by credit card at the time of pre-registration)
At the audition site*: $60 (This fee applies to applicants who pre-registered but did not pay at the time of pre-registration. Pre-registration is required for these auditions)
*Fees collected at the audition site must be paid by cash or check (written out to “School of American Ballet”). Credit Cards are not accepted at the audition sites.Learn More about Auditions at SAB
Auditions for International Students
Applicants who reside outside the continental US are invited to apply by video for Summer Course in NYC. The fee to apply is $38.50.
International Video Application Fee:
$38.50 (This must be paid by credit card online at the time you submit your application)
- Pre-registration is required for all NYC audition dates and optional for National Audition Tour dates. All applicants are strongly encouraged to pre-register. The benefits of pre-registration include access to discounted audition fees and expedited audition result notification. Those who preregister but later decide not to attend the audition will not be penalized in any way (but will forfeit any pre-paid audition fees).
- You may preregister for any audition without pre-paying the audition fee. However, the only way to receive the discounted audition fee is to pay at the time you submit your pre-registration form. There are no other opportunities to “pre-pay.” Those who do not pre-pay the fee at the time they submit the pre-registration form will need to pay at audition in the form of cash, check or money order. Credit cards will not be accepted on-site. You will owe the premium rate listed above.
- Walk-in applicants (who did not pre-register) are welcome at all National Audition Tour cities. Walk-in applicants will not be admitted at our NYC audition dates
- All Applicants attending an audition at one of the National Audition Tour locations should arrive one hour before their scheduled audition time to check-in and receive their audition number.
- All applicants must show official proof of birth at the time of the audition. Only a birth certificate, passport, or state-issued ID will be acceptable as proof. Applicants without one of these documents may not be permitted to audition.
- Recommendation letters, photographs and resumes are not accepted at auditions.
- Girls ages 11 and older must bring pointe shoes to the audition. Girls under age 11 should only bring pointe shoes if they have begun studying on pointe.
- Observation of auditions is not permitted.
- Students should audition in the age group that is equal to their age at the time of the audition (not the age they will be during the program). Nine-year-olds (who will be 10 by July 31) should audition in the slot designated for 10 year olds.
- Eleven year olds who will be 12 by July 31, and 12 year olds who will still be 12 on July 31, may audition for both Young Dancer Series programs and the five-week Summer Course at any audition location.
Online pre-registration is required for all NYC audition dates and optional for National Audition Tour dates. All applicants are strongly encouraged to pre-register. The benefits of pre-registration include access to discounted audition fees, expedited audition results, and priority check-in before walk-in applicants at the audition. Those who pre-register but later decide not to attend the audition will not be penalized in any way.
All Summer Course and Young Dancer Series results are distributed via email. Applicants who pre-register receive their result within 6 business days of their audition. Applicants who apply on site will receive their result with three weeks of their audition. Please reference a city-by-city result schedule to view SAB’s projected result dates for the 2020 Audition Tour.
NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY
The School of American Ballet has a nondiscrimination policy with respect to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the School. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, sexual orientation, national origin or any other protected characteristic in administration of its education policies, admissions policies, scholarship programs or any other school-administered programs.
|Auditions sponsored by:|