Winter Term Auditions for 6-10 Year olds
The School of American Ballet holds auditions each spring for 6 to 10 year olds who live in the New York metropolitan area. Accepted applicants enroll in the upcoming Winter Term which begins in September. Auditions are held at SAB’s headquarters at Lincoln Center and at locations in NYC neighborhoods and boroughs (Community Auditions). No previous training or experience is necessary for children in this age group.
2023 Auditions at SAB
We are pleased to announce 2023 audition dates below. Auditions will take place at the School of American Ballet’s headquarters at Lincoln Center in Manhattan beginning at 3:30 PM. Pre-registration is required for these auditions and will begin in mid-February. Applicants must register for a specific time slot on an audition date designated for their age at the time of the audition. Five year olds who will be six by September 1, 2023 should audition on the 6 year old audition date. There is an audition fee of $38.50 for all auditions at SAB.
|Monday, April 3, 2023||beginning at 3:30 pm||6 year olds
|Monday, April 17, 2023||beginning at 3:30 pm||7-8 year olds
|Tuesday, April 18, 2023||beginning at 3:30 pm||9-10 year old
Note: dates subject to change.
Pre-registration for these auditions will open in mid-February. Sign up for our mailing list below if you wish to be notified when registration opens.
2023 Community Auditions
SAB will hold auditions for 6-10 year olds at locations in NYC boroughs/neighborhoods in April 2023. There is no fee for SAB’s Community Auditions. Dates and locations will be announced in early 2023. Visit the link below to join our mailing list and receive information about SAB’s community auditions as it becomes available.
General Audition Information
- Pre-Registration: Pre-registration is required for all auditions taking place at SAB’s Lincoln Center headquarters. Pre-registration is optional but strongly recommended for those who wish to audition at a Community Audition location.
- Audition dress: Children auditioning for girls classes should wear a leotard or swimsuit; children auditioning for boys classes should wear a t-shirt and shorts or tights/leggings. (no long/baggy pants) Children should arrive with audition clothes underneath street clothes as there may be limited access to changing rooms and bathrooms depending upon the audition location.
- Age eligibility: Children must be 6 years old by September 1 to audition and enroll for the Winter Term beginning in September of the same year. Children must be no older than 10 on the day of their audition.
- Proof of Age: Applicants must upload official proof of birth when registering for the audition. Only a birth certificate or passport will be acceptable as proof.
- Audition age groups: Children should audition in the age group that corresponds with their age at the time of the audition. Five year olds, who will be 6 by September 1, 2023 should audition in the 6 year old age group.
- Audition Fees: Audition fees are non-refundable. No exceptions will be made for children who miss their audition appointments, regardless of the reason, or for children who attend a Community Audition after first registering for a paid audition at SAB.
- Tuition assistance is available.
- Winter Term classes begin in mid-September.
- Currently, all students enrolled at SAB are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. However, children attending the audition are not required to be vaccinated. Covid requirements and protocols for the 2023-24 Winter Term will be determined closer to the audition dates.
- SAB’s training program for children is intended for students who permanently reside in the New York City area. Students who do not live in the tri-state region within easy commuting distance of SAB should not audition for SAB’s Winter Term. Instead, students aged 10 and up from outside the local area should consider auditioning for our annual summer programs each year in January. SAB’s summer programs are designed to enable non-local students to experience SAB’s training and to be considered for an invitation to train in our Winter Term once they are old enough for our residential program (beginning at age 14 or older). For more information about our New York Junior Session, click here.