Winter Term Auditions for 6-10 Year olds
Each spring, 6 to 10 year olds are invited to audition for the upcoming Winter Term (which begins in September). Auditions are held at SAB’s headquarters at Lincoln Center and at locations in Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem, Chinatown and the Bronx (Community Auditions). No previous training or experience is necessary for children in this age group.
Applicants may audition wherever it is convenient for them to do so. The audition format is the same at all locations. Auditions at SAB require pre-registration and include a $38.50 fee. Community Auditions are free and pre-registration is highly recommended but not required. Applicants should only sign up for one audition location. See below for information on the 2020 auditions for 6 to 10 year olds.
Important Note about the 2020 Auditions
SAB has made the difficult decision to cancel the auditions for 6-10 year olds previously postponed from the spring. Although we had hoped to be able to hold auditions later this summer for the upcoming school year, the continued need for social distancing and the imposing of size limits on gatherings have made the conducting of in-person auditions and the onboarding of new children’s class units impractical for the launch of our school year this fall.
At this time, we are planning to resume auditions for this age group in April 2021 for the 2021-2022 school year. We will also expand our age range for next April’s auditions to include 11 year old children so that 10 year olds who missed their opportunity this spring will not be excluded.
If you wish to be included on our audition notification mailing list, please visit this link. Note that if you originally registered for our 2020 April auditions, or signed up to be notified of new dates after our April auditions were postponed, we will automatically alert you when 2021 audition information is available.
General Audition Information
- Audition dress: Girls should wear a leotard or swimsuit and boys should wear a t-shirt and shorts or tights/leggings. (no long/baggy pants)
- Age eligibility: Children must be 6 years old by October 1 to audition and enroll for the Winter Term beginning the same year.
- Proof of Age: Applicants must show official proof of birth at the time of the audition. Only a birth certificate or passport will be acceptable as proof.
- Audition age groups: Children should audition in the age group that corresponds with their age at the time of the audition. All five year olds (who will be six by October 1) should audition in the 6-7 year old group
- Tuition assistance is available.
- Winter Term classes begin in mid-September for 8-10 year olds and in early October for 6 & 7 year olds.
- Applicants should only sign up for one audition location. If you wish to change your location after pre-registering, you can email email@example.com to notify us of the change. Applicants switching from a Community Audition location to an audition at SAB will be required to pay the $38.50 audition fee on the day of the audition.
- Pre-paid audition fees are non-refundable. We regret that refunds cannot be provided to applicants who register for an audition at SAB but subsequently elect to attend a Community Audition.